Friday 8 April 2011

Ophelia costume design

I have designed a costume for Ophelia and sent it to the Director attached with some of the pictures that inspired the design.
The Email :

From: 3201848 DANAI STAMATIOU
Sent: 08 April 2011 11:25
To: heartxxxattack@gmail.com
Subject: costume design ophelia 
 This is a design for ophelia's dress, I am mainly thinking of using white fabrics which I can layer on top of each other and create an interesting texture. Also I have been thinking of maybe breaking down the fabric so it looks distressed as she has beed thought a lot. I am also sending you some of the pictures that I used as inspiration. Also when you cast ophelia could you sent me her measurements, it would really help me.  
let me now your thoughts on my ideas. 
I am really looking forward in working in this film
thank you 
Danai Stamatiou

my design 




The director emailed me back  saying that he really liked my initial design so it ended up becoming my final design I was really happy that I managed to capture the directors vision right away but I am a bit unhappy that I didn't get to develop my design and ideas further. as I have no budget I decided to make the costume out of curtain fabrics that I already had, I also managed to find a corset in the costume store that I was allowed to use,as it was the older one and made was made out of calico. The corset itself was yellow tinted and looked quite distressed thing that really fits my breaking down idea. I also focused quite a bit in the making of the sleeve cuffs as I wanted that to the the royal element of the costume responding to something the director had said earlier "she's been living in the woods but she is a princess", I want the cuffs to be made out of different lace based fabrics layered in different ways. I also have discussed with the director about the chronological setting of the costume and we both agreed that something vague that doesn't look like its something in particular but looks nice and connects with the script.   



No comments:

Post a Comment